Wednesday, April 29, 2015

To Flush or Not to Flush?!

When you've lived away from your parents for 23 years and have a way of managing your home your own way, it's a little different coming back home to live with your folks and follow their methods once again!

Since I was married, I have lived in homes in suburbs where we have always had sewer systems with water service.  Now, we live in a home with a private well and septic tank.  My wonderful father is one of my most favorite people in this world, but that doesn't change the fact that he's a pessimist.  It's usually the glass is "half empty" as versus "half full".  Well, we added 3 new people to this house and of course, my Dad thinks we are going to ruin the septic system by flushing too much.  In this case, it's not "the septic tank is half empty, it's already full and busting out!"   

He told me, my husband, my son and my daughter the same story:  he watched a movie once called "Meet the Fockers".  They had water scarcity issues on the island and Dustin Hoffman (who played Bernie Focker) said the following in the video link here:

Water Scarcity Rules

Yes, we now live by my Dad's "Septic Tank Overflow Rule":  If it's yellow, let it mellow.  If it's brown, flush it down.  I don't think my family can create enough waste to ruin the septic tank, but sometimes we just simply forget and flush out of habit.  My daughter will sometimes ask if it's okay to "flush".  Yes, yes it is.  ;)

Moving back in with your parents is wonderful, don't get me wrong.  I am spending quality time with them, my children are spending quality time with them, we are doing the kind of hard work on the farm that's good, honest, productive and character building.  But there are sometimes little "bumps" in the road, and ours happens to involve toilet flushing.

Hey, if this is as bad as it gets, then we are lucky and blessed because if this is what makes Dad happy, then we'll be happy to oblige! 

No comments:

Post a Comment